The roof is one of the most important elements of the building. The roof is the first thing that you see when you approach a building. Your structure only becomes a home when you have a roof over it. A new roof will be required to function and meet the following requirements besides providing aesthetics, covering and protection for the building and the occupants;
- Resist weather
- Prevent unauthorized access to the building
- Resist the spread of fire from one property to another
- Be able to support loads (weights)
- Provide resistance to heat loss (insulation)
- Be ventilated to protect from condensation (in most cases)
- Have adequate drainage
There are generally two types of roof construction used:
- Pitch roof – This is where tiles or slates are used, and a void is usually created underneath.
- Flat roof – This usually consists of felting/waterproofing which has a slight fall to allow rainwater to drain off.
So, if you are planning for the procurement of roofing for your new building construction, or maybe an alteration or complete replacement. It is important the following Five factors are put into consideration by the owner, project manager or building contractor.
THE FACTORS INCLUDES:
- Design: The design and style of the building are what creates the aesthetics for the roof and the building. The design will show the dimensions of the roof’s components, the direction of the gutter, fall and drainage. It enables the roofing contractor or estimator to provide an estimate for the project.
- Budget: Once you know the measurement and quantities of material that you need for the roofing project, you can decide on the material and style you want and choose what fits your budget.
- Materials: The choice of materials for your roofing is important as a lot of material goes into roofing solutions. Several factors determine the type of material to use. They include the climate, slope/pitch of the roof, type of roofing system and manufacturers guide. For example, metal roofs are ideal for low pitch roofs.
- Building Approval: To enable compliance with the requirements of the Building Regulations to be demonstrated, full details of the new roof will be needed – including materials and their dimensions and performance properties. When it comes to gaining planning permission, designers can often be asked to reduce the pitch if it is deemed to have too much impact on any adjacent buildings, so be prepared to be flexible — your architect or designer will ensure that the end result is still visually satisfying.
- Contractor: For any roofing project, you need to work with a certified, reliable and experienced professional roofer. The certified roofing contractor would provide accurate measurements so that you only buy the material that you need for the job. Take your time to search for a reputable roofer from the list that has the experience to make sure your roof is installed correctly.
Plusworld roofing is the number one roof installation company in Nigeria, Contact us today for all your roofing needs, please call +2347007663464
Frequently Asked Questions:
F: “How many years warranty or guaranty do you have” and what does it cover?
- We currently have 10 years and Above warranty on most of our products and services
G: How many years have you been in business?
- Over 10 years