Waterproofing is the process of making an object or structure water-resistant so that it remains relatively unaffected by water OR resisting the ingress of water under specified conditions.
Waterproofing in buildings is basically the formation of an impervious barrier over surfaces of foundations, roofs, walls and other structural members of building to prevent water penetrations through these surfaces.
Waterproofing in buildings and structures are generally required for basement of structure, walls, bathrooms and kitchens, balconies, decks, terrace or roofs, water tanks and swimming pools etc.
It is essential to waterproof your house. Interior areas of our houses must be kept dry from roof to basement. Water infiltration can lead to damages such as insect infestation, mold and in worst cases building failures.
Waterproofing is an essential part of construction, used extensively in both residential and commercial buildings such as bungalows, duplexes and high-rise buildings. The integrity of the structure is partially dependent on correct waterproofing application. If done poorly, the building is susceptible to water damage, posing a risk to the property, and the health and safety of those inside.
Depending on the level of water damage or owner preference, waterproofing systems can be installed indoors or outdoors.
Advantages of Waterproofing.
1. It strengthens the structure: Waterproofing prolongs the lifespan of your building by limiting ways that water and moisture can enter through ceiling, walls or floor. If these areas are well protected from water intrusion, the structure can avoid damage such as rust, rotting, corrosion and deterioration.
2. Prevents mold: Waterproofing isn’t only about ensuring the structures integrity but also preventing health problems. Moisture build- up in the ceiling and walls causes fungus or mold growth. These microorganisms can cause serious health issues such as allergies, asthma and a weakened immune system.
3. It reduces maintenance costs: Concrete waterproofing is a cost-efficient solution to save on expensive repairs. When your building is free from water damage, you can expect to have less problems maintaining it.
4. Provides a healthy environment: Good waterproofing systems help create a clean living and workspace. It safeguards the property as well as the people in it.
5. It increases property value: No one wants a property with waterproofing problems. Waterproofing systems can prevent structural damage from water seepage. It maintains the aesthetic look of the building and adds value to your property.